RIP Racing Team Forum www.ripracingteam.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Knowledge Sharing Depository

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Navigation
  Home
  Calendar
  Register
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Howdy! Long time no see!
    Controller To G27! Emptyby GTSC_weido8 Sun Jul 12 2015, 12:21

» Ferrari Tour Series
    Controller To G27! Emptyby Crazy-8 Thu Feb 19 2015, 22:50

» GTSC Open Invite
    Controller To G27! Emptyby GTSC_weido8 Sat Jun 21 2014, 23:31

» Back online on Monday
    Controller To G27! Emptyby 5CardDraw Tue Feb 25 2014, 13:35

» Been a while
    Controller To G27! Emptyby RIP_go-fish Thu Jan 30 2014, 00:53

» GT6 Progress Update
    Controller To G27! Emptyby Crazy-8 Mon Jan 27 2014, 21:32

» Happy Birthday Racing Demon!
    Controller To G27! Emptyby AceOfClubs Thu Jan 23 2014, 07:34

» Merry X-Mas & A Great New Year
    Controller To G27! Emptyby AceOfClubs Tue Dec 24 2013, 18:44

» GT6 is Here!
    Controller To G27! Emptyby AceOfClubs Fri Dec 20 2013, 02:07

» 620PP Supercars Seasonal Event 12/3/13
    Controller To G27! Emptyby RIP_3-Diamonds Mon Dec 02 2013, 20:09

GT5 Forums
    Links
    Gallery
    Controller To G27! Empty

Controller To G27!

Go down 
    +3
    AceOfSpades
    AceOfClubs
    RIP_Welsh_Don
    7 posters
    AuthorMessage
    RIP_Welsh_Don
    Administration Board Member
    RIP_Welsh_Don

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptySat Oct 30 2010, 17:19

cheers Just placed my order for a sparkling new Logitech G27 racin' wheel, so thought I'd start a thread to share my transition from the pad to the wheel. Not expecting this to be an easy move to make, but will be hoping to be up to speed ready for GT5! Hope to have the wheel by early this week. Very Happy

Watch this space. twothumbsup

Last edited by RIP_Welsh_Don on Sat Oct 30 2010, 18:15; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    AceOfClubs
    Team Founder
    Team Founder
    AceOfClubs

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptySat Oct 30 2010, 17:28

Sweet, it took me about a week for the transition.
    Back to top Go down
    AceOfSpades
    Team Founder
    Team Founder
    AceOfSpades

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptySat Oct 30 2010, 18:01

Clutch and shifter should be the hardest part of the transition if you want to use 'em.
    Back to top Go down
    RIP_Welsh_Don
    RIP_Welsh_Don

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptySat Oct 30 2010, 18:13

Won't be using clutch until GT5, when hopefully there is no 'BUG' to using it, but will be using shifter for now, then paddles I guess for GT5 too once they're compatible. As for the transition, I mean, how long it will take to reach, then hopefully surpass my current lap times with the controller. car
    Back to top Go down
    RIP_4-Of-A-Kind
    Team Member I
    Team Member I

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptySat Oct 30 2010, 18:45

Oh crap...we're in trouble now, not that I had a handle on it in the first place. I'll continue to blow the marbles off to widen the groove dude. Enjoy! driving
    Back to top Go down
    RIP_1EyedJack
    Events Coordinator I
    Events Coordinator I
    RIP_1EyedJack

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptySat Oct 30 2010, 21:42

mabye well have a month or so before u get used to it. lol. no it should be a big improvement and the compotition will only fear u more. your fast enough now for gosh sakes.
    Back to top Go down
    RIP_Welsh_Don
    RIP_Welsh_Don

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptyMon Nov 08 2010, 20:56

Ok, week 1 has been..........frustrating! Mad lol

However, I can clearly see signs that the wheel will be quicker once I adapt to it fully. The finer steering and throttle/brake inputs make for a much smoother drive and I even found myself within 1s of my best controller time with the Corvette on N3's at DRC within 1 evening of racin'. That being said, I crash lots and lots and lots! Ugly

This has been the most difficult thing to overcome, saving a slide, touching the grass or kerbs, then not being able to get the car back inline. The faintest of contact with another car just sends me spinnin' and this is where the frustration is at for now!

Lap times are promising in free run, but each car takes time to learn especially as I've also switched to cockpit view from the 3rd person view with the whole car visible on screen. This has actually been the hardest part to figure out due to havin' a complete lack of concept for speed!!

The wheel is the ONLY way to play this game though!!

WD
    Back to top Go down
    AceOfSpades
    Team Founder
    Team Founder
    AceOfSpades

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptyMon Nov 08 2010, 21:32

RIP_Welsh_Don wrote:
    Ok, week 1 has been..........frustrating! Mad lol
    Amen

RIP_Welsh_Don wrote:
    The wheel is the ONLY way to play this game though!!

WD
    Amen Amen

Just give it time and allocate lots of patience cuz the payoff is well worth it. goripca Very Happy
    Back to top Go down
    BlackJack
    BlackJack

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptyMon Nov 08 2010, 22:39

Once you go wheel...you never go back. Wait...that doesn't ryhme....lol

I played the GT5 demo at a store and the only thing I was thinking was "if I only had my wheel"....lol
    Back to top Go down
    RIP_Welsh_Don
    RIP_Welsh_Don

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptyMon Nov 15 2010, 05:00

Just a quick update. After finding my free run pace fairly quickly, I'm finding it very difficult to race. Our WRE week 2 in the GTR at HSR was promising leading into it after setting the fastest qualifying time, however I couldn't avoid spinning out in and around traffic in each race which was very annoying. Running the cockpit view meant I struggled with visibility and I also failed to save any minor slides or contact when it did happen. Things that were not an issue on the controller! Lol

Since then, I have switched to bumper cam which has made things much more manageable with visibility and judging speed etc. Lap times are continuing to improve as I'm running the DB9 @ Fuji 700 now and racin' is more consistent. I've also turned the FFB down from 8 to 2 which I feel more comfortable with and I'm starting to save more slides than I lose, so feeling quite positive tight now.

WD.
    Back to top Go down
    DeadMansHand
    DeadMansHand

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptyMon Nov 15 2010, 08:15

That's great WD! Oh...wait...that's bad! But, I mean that's a good thing, but it's not, for us but you not us happy sad confused... lol

Lol, I found that the GTR had a very small margin of error. It was solid to a point, but the instant you crossed it, it was very hard to catch. Might not have just been you Don.

GT5 is supposed to alow you to adjust your field of view in cockpit view, so that ma alieavate some vision issues.
    Back to top Go down
    RIP_Welsh_Don
    RIP_Welsh_Don

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! EmptyFri Dec 24 2010, 13:07

Been a while since I've added anything to this post because of a certain little game being released. Can't think what it's called right now, but it's on the tip of my tongue!! Wink

Anyway, quick update. Feeling very comfortable with the wheel now and my pace has definitely improved, although I'm still looking for more. I find the steering input and braking control need to be much finer (especially in this new game) and any more steering angle than necessary, induces understeer, any more brakes than required, the tyres lock up. All this is good, but something I'm still adjusting to.

A test I always wanted to go back to, was my qualifying run for my GTP account in Prologue! I had to use the RX7 at Fuji in Arcade mode, running S2's and Professional physics. I put a lot of time into that lap with the controller and finished with a 1'56.508 putting me into Division 2 Bronze for GTP's Weekly Race Series. I was really happy with my placing, but when you see the lap times of the very best at GTP (Division 1 Gold) which were 1'54.0xx, you know you still have a long way to go. As the 'new game' had been temporarily removed and hidden (Mrs WD!!!! ripdawhip ) last night, I decided it was time to return to Fuji with the RX7, now armed with the G27! Within 30 minutes, I managed a lap of 1'55.675, before finishing the evening with a best of 1'55.213!! Almost 1.3s quicker!

I guess this just shows how much quicker the wheel can be, especially with a slippery, loose car!
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Controller To G27! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Controller To G27!   Controller To G27! Empty

Back to top Go down

Controller To G27!
    Page 1 of 1